Racing Suit Tailoring

For discussion of all auto racing in Michigan.
jjohnson
Fan in the stands

Racing Suit Tailoring

Post by jjohnson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 am

Hey all, turns out no one really makes one piece driving suits for fat guys. Does anyone know where I can go in the Lansing area that can tailor drivers suits? Thanks.

fastbackss
Track champion

Re: Racing Suit Tailoring

Post by fastbackss » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:44 am

This is complete hearsay, but I was part of a similar conversation previously with some road race guys.

They indicated that "taking a suit in" was not terrible, go to a seamstress and provide the nomex thread and it goes smoothly. There was not success when a suit had to be "let out" and they strongly frowned about it.

They said there were places to buy the bigger suits; do you want me to reach out and ask them where they got it from?

-Mike

Kevin 05
Touring series champion

Re: Racing Suit Tailoring

Post by Kevin 05 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Hinchman's in Indy is where I have always gotten my suits.. they have a measurement form that they have you fill out and your suit is tailored to you.. That being said they also stated the same thing taking them in is not a big deal..Letting them out is truly frowned upon.They also frown upon guys that sow patches on there suits with standard thread.. Last thought is I know that Lane's use to have a large rack of off the shelf suits in many sizes right there at the shop if you needed something quick.

The Wizard of Air

Quietly Making Noise